Sunday, May 31, 2009

Just a Quick Update on the Gen

I fired Abel the other day. Eno and I took the gen to “camp,” which is basically a giant “street market” full of various mechanical and electrical type workers and equipment, spare parts, etc. It was higher in altitude than where we normally traverse and the drive provided a nice view. We left the gen with a guy named “Anselm” on Saturday who said he’d be able to give us an estimate on rebuilding the AVR by Monday or so. No guarantees, of course, but I am cautiously optimistic.

Where did we find this guy Anselm? Well that gets me to a little longer story. On Friday afternoon, I was going to go over to my neighbour’s house to present their family with a “baby shower” gift, so to speak. The formality here is to ALWAYS inquire about your family as a part of the greeting. When Okese asked about Stephanie and Timothy, I expressed that Stephanie was less than happy about the fact that it’s always 100 degrees and we haven’t had a generator in over three weeks due to an inept repair guy and my inability to fire the guy. Okay. So I wasn’t quite that blunt, but words to that effect, Stephanie’s not happy, it’s hot outside and our gen is three weeks’ kaput now.

I was floored by the response. Okese (and his wife Stephanie) graciously offered to loan us their backup generator until we get ours fixed. Within 20 minutes, it was connected, and power was flowing to our house through Okese’s backup generator. We were stunned. Unable to express our happiness that we can “on the lights,” or, even more importantly, the fans, when the heat becomes unbearable.

Long story short, Okese gave me the name of a guy in “Camp” who we should take our broken generator to, and he in turn called Anselm when we arrived and he found out it was an electrical problem.

Obviously we are still in need of a more permanent solution, but we are extremely pleased with our current workaround!

No comments:

Post a Comment