Thursday, March 19, 2009

What are we going to be doing?

Teaching, preaching, cooking, cleaning, taking care of our little boy!

We got a taste of ministry in Africa in September, 2007 when we spent an extended weekend in Accra, Ghana. Stephanie taught a Sunday school class, I taught a couple classes at the Bible school, and preached a Sunday service.

Stephanie had a blast teaching Sunday school. She loves teaching kids, every second, every moment. Her passion is to achieve that “I had ‘em” moment” where she has conveyed the precious Word of God to the kids, and the kids “get it.” In Nigeria we imagine Stephanie will continue to teach Sunday school, some, and she is presently slated to teach a course in Christian education at the Bible school, a.k.a. the Ministerial Training Centre.

IMG_0173

I really enjoyed teaching. In a conversation with a friend recently I was reminded that I started out my college days with a plan to get a music education degree. I didn’t think then that I wanted to be a teacher. I guess over the last twenty years or so I have changed my tune. Sure, it’s hot in the classroom, but there really isn’t anything else quite like it. I am scheduled to teach two courses during the quarter, one on the Gospels and one from selected Epistles.

IMG_0107

Preaching. That’s another story. I am a novice. I have not preached all that much, and, while I am fortunately not all that nervous doing public speaking, I do get nervous occasionally when it comes to the responsibility of communicating the Word of God. Especially when it’s being translated. And I have had even less experience with that! I do not know how much preaching I will be doing in Nigeria, but I imagine it will be at least half of the sixteen or so Sundays we are there, give or take a few!

IMG_0166

No comments:

Post a Comment