Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Too Big House

IMG_1259

Where are you going to be living? And when are you going to post some pictures to this blog?

I'll answer your second question first. Given the slowness of our
Internet connection it is difficult to post photos to the blog. We
will try to do so as we can, but for the time being, they may be few
and far between. We are hopeful that at the end of the journey we will be able to put together a nice montage of everything summarizing our time here. Just to give you an idea... I have spent the last fifteen minutes trying to upload one picture. No avail. Trying again the next night… This is our entryway and staircase as it was the other day.

IMG_1249

Right now we are staying with the McLeans. It is a beautiful living
space. All the comforts of home (when there is power); very well
furnished and beautifully decorated. You could show this home on one of those designer programs on the telly. They have been fortunate to be able to keep this place over the years and so they inherited much of the furniture from previous occupants.

Our house, on the other hand, has . . . potential. It's a five
bedroom, three bathrooms on two stories with two other dwelling units in the compound. The security guard's name is . . . get this . . .
"Everett." How ironic. It's definitely not a Nigerian name. I will
have to find out the story there. But back to the house… when we first saw it last week, well, we weren't exactly excited, but we weren't really in despair either. It's just a lot of work living in a house here. Here is an example of the current state of one of the bathrooms.

Well. It was my intention to post a photo here. Foiled again. Stupid
cell network. I will try again here shortly.

IMG_1252

The floors need to be mopped all the time because of all the dirt. And if there are any little holes in the screens, that's a potential vector for mosquito entry. And mosquitoes can be deadly here. Ever
hear of malaria? We're taking preventative medicine to thwart the
dreaded disease but it's not always 100% effective. I may write more on that one later. Yet one more thing for which we simply have to trust in God.

Psalm 56:3-4 says:
What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.
In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust;
I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.

I'm going to change that last part of verse four… I will not fear what
mosquitoes can do unto me.

No comments:

Post a Comment