Wednesday, April 8, 2009

One more week!

IMG_1210

One week from this very minute we will be in the truck, loaded up and headed out to the airport.

Scary.

It seems like the "to do" list has grown longer and the number of items being checked off has not increased. Here a little, there a little, line upon line.

I am excited to get these Action Packers out of the house and into the fray. I am dreading the sight of these monstrosities when we hit the ground in Abuja.

I am looking forward to emptying the contents of these beastly beasts into our "apartment" (or, flat, if you will). I am not looking forward to the string of flights connected loosely by stays of various lengths in airports of various ilk.

I am excited to see our "new place." I am not so excited to worry about thirty-six hours of wondering what the boy is going to eat or not eat.

I can't wait to get in the classroom and teach. I don't know about five hours straight in "Africa hot" temperatures, three days a week, with a little boy along to boot.

I didn't grow up with air conditioning. But it seems to me now that I haven't spent more than an hour or two at a time without a/c since, oh, probably, 1992, not including the occasional vacation.

I am more excited than I am anxious or nervous or worried. I'm very excited, actually.

Africa, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment